Tribute Token

I am sitting on a soft, red and cozy chair with a stream of tears running down my face when I hear a slight knock on the door. I quickly wipe my tears away before the guest enter. It is my mom and dad; the two most important people in my life. They both came in and they sat on a wooden bench across the room from me. There was an awkward silence mostly because we just all had a reality check that this is actually happening to our family. My parents have to say goodbye to me because I am going to fight and kill other people for the capitols entertainment. I wasn’t too sure what to say so I just said a quiet, “Hi” to start off the conversation. Immediately my mom started crying. Just seeing her sitting there and crying made me wonder what was going through her mind. Then, I heard the deep voice of my dad say, “Close your eyes and put your hands out in front of you.”

I hesitated a little bit but then I did as I was told and gradually close my watery eyes and unfolded my hands and placed them palms up on my lap. I could hear the swishing of my dad’s raincoat and the creaking of the floor as he walked towards me. Then, something jewelry like was laid down on my hands. I waited a second or too to see if my parent would give me an okay to open my eyes. But, that never happened so I did that on my own. As I slowly opened my eyes I notice that what was placed in my hands was a beautiful necklace that was once my great grandmothers. It was mostly silver but with a circle that was blue in color with two trees that symbolized my district which is lumber. In the past I have always seen this necklace around my mom’s neck and I never would have thought that it would be my token to bring to the game that reminds me of back home. Then I asked my mom, “This necklace is so important to you. Why would you want me to have it during the games?” She answered a very simple answer, “It is because I love you. And I am very proud of you for taking on the games.”

Then I got up out of my seat so that my mom could put on the necklace that I am probably going to die in. We all got in a big group hug and stayed like that for a long time. I could tell that my dad was crying on my shoulder and the weird thing is that I think this is the first time I saw him cry, ever. Next thing you know a guard knocks on the door and opens it a few seconds later motioning my parents outside. My mom give me one last kiss on my forehead and says her final words, “Go kick some butt out there. We love you so much.” They then walked out and the guard closed the door behind them. Well, that’s the last time I’m seeing my parents.

4 Comments on Tribute Token

1. 4lizzyt
    May 19, 2014 at 6:12 pm (10 years ago)

I liked how you told us about your district symbol being lumber and how the necklace was really old in your family. However, in the beginning paragraph, after the first sentence you seem to change to different tenses then of the previous sentence. Try to stay on the same tense throughout the next writing piece because you had trouble on this in your last post as well:)

Reply
  2. 4blake
    May 19, 2014 at 6:12 pm (10 years ago)

This narrative was very enjoyable to read. I love how much emotion you used while you wrote about your farewells to your parents. I only saw a couple typos that could be fixed. “I waited a second or too to see if my parent would give me an okay to open my eyes.” I think you wanted to say to, not too. I think that could be fixed easily with one more read before you post it.

Reply
  3. 4blake
    May 19, 2014 at 6:17 pm (10 years ago)

Comment

Reply
  4. 4rachelbrown
    May 19, 2014 at 6:37 pm (10 years ago)

I really enjoyed reading this post. It effectively showed how close you are to your parents and the emotions you are all going through as you say goodbye. Your description of the room helped me visualize where you are. I also really liked your idea of the necklace having trees on it, to symbolize the lumber that District 7 supplies, and I like how you made it something that was in your family for generations. I feel like you could have done more to describe the necklace so the readers could have a clear picture in there head, like adding more about the sense of touch and using more sensory details and figurative language (maybe it was as blue as the sea, or the sky, something like that). Other than that, this was a very good blog post and I definitely had a great time reading it. I cant wait to read the next one!

Reply