The Tributes are Announced

As I was standing in the crowd waiting for the upcoming reaping of the tributes to begin for this year’s Hunger Games, my heart was racing and beating faster than it has ever gone before. Although I am in a great shape because of tree cutting I do, I’m still afraid to get called and go to the games. It’s possible that I would never come back. Harper Hayes was the women who picked the name from the shiny and clear bowl that everyone had their eyes on. She reached her hand into the bowl and very slowly pulled out a white slip of paper. First she said the district number and then the person’s name. “District one… Tammy Cottonhead. District five… Juanita Plumcat.” Other people were called afterwards but I didn’t pay any attention to their name because my nervous level was over the roof. I just noticed Tammy and Juanita because their names are so original. I heard Harper say district 7 and was hoping it wasn’t me. Lucky, this time it wasn’t. It was another young girl from my district. After a few more names were called I was almost positive it wouldn’t be me.

Next, Harper said, “District 7,” the pause between the district and the name felt like ages. Then, over the loud and booming speaker I hear my name called, “Yolanda Bubblebench.” Immediately my face turned as red as a newly harvest tomato. As I walked forward to the stage I could see everyone staring at me, it made me feel extremely uncomfortable. I saw teens from my district show a sign of relief when they realized there were no more slots for kids from our district. To be honest, I don’t know how I feel about being in the Hunger Games. As much as I want to win I still and very nervous. Although I’m in a pretty good shape for a girl my age I may not come out alive.

3 Comments on The Tributes are Announced

1. 4blake
    May 15, 2014 at 9:02 pm (10 years ago)

I really liked reading this narrative, it had some good uses of figurative language. the only thing that I would fix is the past-present tense. “As I was standing in the crowd waiting for the upcoming reaping of the tributes to begin for this year’s Hunger Games, my heart was racing and beating faster than it has ever gone before. Although I am in a great shape because of tree cutting I do, I’m still afraid to get called and go to the games.” As I was reading this I saw how you switched tenses and it didn’t make much sense whether you were at the reaping or recalling what happened at the reaping.

Reply
  2. 4lizzyt
    May 15, 2014 at 10:34 pm (10 years ago)

I enjoyed your post Kerryn! I liked how you compared your face to a ripe tomato when your name was called. I also enjoyed how you used other people’s names that were called in your paragraphs as well. if I could change one thing it would be to add a little bit more descriptive detail on how you were feeling after you were picked.

Reply
  3. 4rachelbrown
    May 16, 2014 at 12:42 am (10 years ago)

This was a very good writing piece. I love when you said how you were in good shape because of all the tree cutting you’ve done, it was cool that you could make that connection. I also loves those last couple of lines that said that you were wanted to win, but you were nervous. I think a lot of people could feel like that, and you understood it. Also, fantastic use of figurative language and sensory details, but you could have used a couple more in your writing. Overall, great and entertaining piece, I really enjoyed it! Great job!

Reply